Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sidelined at the Moment

       Thinking back to my childhood I remember being really frustrated that there was so much I wanted to do, and would eventually be able to do but I wasn't allowed to do yet because I had more growing up to do first. I, like most children, was very excited to be just like mommy and daddy and do all the grown up things they did, even simple things like pouring my own drinks. I knew and understood that I had to have help for a while first, that I needed to learn how to do it and grow bigger and stronger, but I really just wanted to do it all myself and prove that I could do it to my parents. Sometimes, like most kids, I did these things without help anyway, and every once in a while it would work out, but mostly I just made a big mess, got in trouble, and had to clean it up.
       Lately, my heart has been feeling the same way in regards to my purpose in God's kingdom. I know that part of what I am supposed to be doing is this, but there is more and I am impatient to get started. I am excited to serve God! But He is telling me to wait, that I must grow and learn more first, there's more He wants to teach me first. I want to be obedient and please my Father, but I also want to show Him I can do it! I realize though, that if He is telling me to wait and learn that is what I should do or I will end up just making a big mess again.
       I think it's interesting how much the parent-child relationship mirrors the God-man relationship; and because of the similarities between the two I try, when I can, to apply what I learned in the past about my nature to be more obedient towards God now. Knowing that as a child if I did the things I was told to wait on by myself that it typically ended badly has helped me to wait now. Knowing that doing it on my own before I knew Jesus didn't end so well, is helping me to be obedient now.
       I wrote this today because I know that there are other people who are struggling with this too, you are excited, willing, and waiting to get out there and do what you have been called to do, but you're sidelined at the moment, sitting on the bench waiting to really get in the game. I'm not saying that you or I don't serve, or that we shouldn't. We should always, always, always help others when you are able! We should always every day be serving God and others anyway we can. I'm talking about waiting for God's word to do what's next with whatever He has commissioned you to do, your life purpose. If God is having you wait accept that, it's not going to last forever, waiting is only ever for a season. Feel glad that you know your purpose, or at least the direction you should go, and listen carefully, be alert and ready learning all that you can so when He says 'now!' you are prepared.

Psalm 27:13-14        
I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

Isaiah 1:19        
If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;

Luke 6:46-49
“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”

John 12:26        
If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.              

No comments:

Post a Comment