Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Seek Ye First

       This title obviously comes from Matthew 6:33 which reads (KJV) "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." What things was Jesus talking about? In verse 6:31 it says "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?" So it sounds like God is saying that if we put Him first, seek after Him and His righteousness before all else that we don't need to worry, that He will provide for us, but is this true? I used to ask myself that, I used to wonder, but I don't anymore because I know it is truth, God has proven it to me.
       I decided to write this post today because recently I have ended up discussing this verse and the idea of seeking God above all else several times with people struggling in their faith. Some told me about their worries or just asked for prayer and some asked how to get closer to God, or how to rebuild a past relationship with Him. My answer to them all was Matthew 6:33; why? Because it is a simple truth, easy to read, easy to understand, but I have to admit that it's hard to execute because the flesh will try to distract you. What do I mean? It is easy enough to say you believe that God will provide but it's hard to live it, to live like you believe it is true and it's even harder to really seek Him above all else, above all things and people. I said I believed it long before I actually did, I said He was first, long before I actually acted that way, my mind accepted the truth but the truth was not yet in me. I didn't spend time with Him, I didn't really know God, and so when that little voice would chime in and say things to make me doubt, I couldn't argue.
       Then my world flipped upside down and I started to seek the Lord in desperation to be fixed. I became vulnerable to Him, allowing Him to have all my weakness and brokenness, I started to make Him a priority in my life, making time for His word everyday, spending time with Him in prayer whenever I could. I started devouring devotionals never feeling like I could get enough of His spirit. My life started to change. As I sought the Lord and His will over my life, I started to see His provisions. My cabinets have gone from barely anything to so full we have to rearrange every time we grocery shop. We went from below the poverty line to slightly above, and soon from renters to homeowners. When we have car trouble parts that can't be found appear, repairs that could cost as much as another used car, are a forth of the cost. These are a just a few of the examples I could share about what God has done in providing for us but none of this happened until I made God and His will first. "Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness."
       As I began to see and acknowledge His gifts, His provisions, I read this verse with new eyes, I understood that seeking Him and His righteousness first is what made the difference, and by doing it I had nothing to worry about. The more I meditated on that thought the less I worried, as I worried less, I trusted more, and the more I trusted the stronger my relationship with the Lord became. I discovered that by seeking the Lord, by serving Him and trying to live a life that reflected Jesus's life, the things I need come to me, showing up just on time. And this truth is open to you too, it is not prosperity as some teach, but real provision and blessings through the Lord, and its dependent on you seeking Him! 

Psalm 34:10
The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.

Proverbs 10:3
The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry, but he thwarts the craving of the wicked.  

Proverbs 28:9
If anyone turns a deaf ear to my instruction, even their prayers are detestable.

Colossians 3:1
If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.

1 Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

  
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment