Wednesday, April 29, 2015

What is Seeking God?

      The other day I had a conversation with someone that brought to my attention something I had forgotten since I learned and understood it. It was that some people who believe in God don't know that there is a difference between seeking the Lord and praying just to ask for things.  This conversation reminded me that many people, including myself at one point, get stuck after a while and frustrated when their prayers aren't answered. It reminded me of how I used to pray often, and read little, then get angry at God that He didn't respond to me, and how that changed dramatically after I genuinely started seeking Him and made God my first priority. So today I would like to share some of my conversation with this person in hopes it will bring clarity and understanding to the differences.
       This person I spoke to explained to me in the course of our conversation that they were feeling frustrated with the Lord because they prayed a lot and never got answers. They said they felt like God wasn't listening, like He had turned away from them. I know that God will allow us to go through dry seasons, but I also know He is always listening too, even when He isn't answering. So I reassured this person of that before asking them what exactly they were doing to seek the Lord. They gave me a funny look and responded 'I just told you, I'm praying a lot. I ask Him everyday for stuff, to show up in my life and be part of it. But He never does.' I had to stop them then, and asked if they read their bible, they said they used to but not really anymore. I understood then what happened, why they weren't getting answers because I had been there too and found out I was completely the one at fault for this. While praying is great, and definitely part of seeking the Lord, it is just that part of how you seek Him.
       I asked them to think back to when they were dating, when they were forming a relationship with someone they were interested in and asked them if when they were dating they spoke only of themselves, their wants, their needs, and neglected to find out about the other person or did they pursue information about them as well, was there the desire for wanting to know them closer, to know more about them. They looked at me confused and said, 'I tried to find out about them, I wanted to know them intimately to have a close relationship.' I nodded getting the answer I expected and continued 'so you sought out the information you wanted, you were seeking them to know them better, not just talking about yourself?' They then saw what I was getting at, and replied with, 'it's different with God though, I don't hear His voice or get dreams, I don't get the answers I want.' And I totally see why they responded that way, so I took them back to the dating scenario again. I asked them if they would answer the calls or messages of a person who said they were interested in them but spoke only of themselves instead, they answered 'no, I would feel like they were only interested in themselves and didn't care about me,' this time I could see in their eyes they got it, they understood. To know God, to hear Him you must be seeking Him with your whole heart, devoting time and energy to getting to know His heart just as you would anyone else who you wanted to be in a relationship with. It is the time we spend in the Word that gives us that opportunity, it is thru His Word that we learn to recognize His voice, and form a loving relationship with Him. We have to read the bible to know God, to have a relationship with Him, that is seeking the Lord, it's that simple.   
     Now I want you to ask yourself and be honest are you seeking the Lord or just asking for the things He can provide? Are you putting in the effort to get to know Him, to search out His heart or are you complaining to Him? Are you showing Him you care and love Him by reading His Word and getting to know Him better, or are you just going through the motions of religion and mistaking selfish prayers for a relationship? Be blessed in Jesus name.

1 Chronicles 16:11
Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!

Psalm 14:2
The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man, to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God.

Psalm 27:8
You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.”

Psalm 119:10
With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!

Proverbs 8:17
I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.

Amos 5:4
For thus says the Lord to the house of Israel: “Seek me and live

Matthew 7:7
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment