Sunday, December 8, 2013

Alter Call, and Repentance

     I was at church this morning listening to the sermon and thinking about what the pastor was saying. He said that the meaning of the word 'repent' has changed over time. It once meant to rethink or change your ways rather than regretting or confessing sins. The pastor talked about when John cried from the wilderness to us saying 'repent for the kingdom of God is at hand' he was not telling us to regret what we had done, but rather to rethink our actions and live a life more pleasing to God. He was calling us to change.
    As I sat in the pew contemplating these words I thought about the alter calls they had in the churches I attended in the past. These were often very powerful, emotional calls from our pastor to kneel at the alter and beg forgiveness for our unworthiness, or pour out our hearts to God. But today I thought of getting up and kneeling at the alter not to beg for forgiveness, or ask for anything but just to simply kneel before my Father as an action of praise and worship.
     Too often in life we focus on what we do wrong and where we fall short instead of praising God for His love. He knows our short comings, He knows our pain, and He knows the secrets we share with no one else. Why does an alter call have to be a call for repentance? Why can it not be a call of praise and humbleness before God? My heart ached and called out today to kneel before my Savior simply to praise Him. I may not be able to wash His feet with my tears, or anoint Him with perfume, but I can humble myself before Him. I can kneel at His alter and give Him praise, I can make myself less and give all credit to Him, the one who truly deserves it. I can make the decision everyday to pick up my cross and follow Him, I can repent and allow the Holy Spirit to change me.

Matthew 3:1-6
1 In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea 2 and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” 3 This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah:
“A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.’ ”
4 John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. 5 People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. 6 Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

No comments:

Post a Comment