Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Bitterness is a Choice

       This morning I am thinking about bitterness, how some people can walk through hell's fire and still sing praise and others give in to the flames letting them turn their soul to ash. When I was young I will admit I was one of the ones that let my circumstances turn me to ash. I was bitter over what I saw as injustice and unfair treatment in my life. I was bitter over losses and having to take on responsibility at an early age due to my parent's health situations at the time. I was bitter over being bullied in school and I was bitter over being sexually abused. I was bitter that I was poor, I was bitter that I had to struggle to pay my bills in college while my roommate left her share of the financial and housekeeping responsibilities to me, I was bitter that my boyfriend cheated on me and I didn't believe that I deserved better. I was bitter over a lot of things then and I felt it was my right to be bitter. I felt like I had every reason in the world to be bitter and that no one could blame me for it, that anyone who walked in shoes would be bitter too, but I realize now that just isn't true.
       Since coming to know the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, I have realized bitterness is a choice, that through Jesus we have the opportunity to live above our circumstances instead of in them. Paul writes in Philippians 4:12-13 " I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength." When I read these words of Paul here I think of what he endured, what he went through as one of the greatest evangelist spreading the gospel further than any of the others. He was imprisoned, had people trying to kill him everywhere he went, and early in his conversion other Christians hated and feared him for what he had done as Saul, but yet he says he is content in all circumstances because of Yehsua, because of the strength that the Lord provides and though it's not mentioned in this verse but is in others Paul often speaks of the hope he has found in salvation through Jesus. This hope he found in Jesus taught him to look beyond what he was experiencing to the glory ahead, to the kingdom to come, and rest in that glory instead of his circumstances.  
       Looking at Paul's words above and many other scriptures that he wrote taught me a lot about living as an overcomer instead of a victim, about living in hope instead of bitterness. Through his example I have learned that no matter what circumstances we are facing we have the ability to be content when we focus on Yeshua and the promises of the coming glory. When we realize that God can and will use whatever we are experiencing at the appointed time for good, whether it be for our good or someone else's, we are able to endure the trail without allowing it to tear us down. Often in times of struggle I think of something Jesus said found at John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." this verse reminds me that in Yeshua I have peace, I may have trouble in the world but as He has overcome so shall I when I stay in His presence because I live in Him and He in me. I am no longer that bitter, angry girl anymore, I have been reborn, baptized and saved by His unending grace, and it's open to all who will humble themselves to Him giving their whole heart and life. Today I hope you choose peace brothers and sisters, I hope you choose Jesus, be blessed.   

Psalm 103:1-5   
Of David. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.

Jeremiah 29:11   
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

 Romans 5:2-5   
Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment