Thursday, April 21, 2016

There is a Right and Wrong

       Often today I hear people say that there is no ultimate right or wrong, that this is all perspective based on how you were raised and that we must decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong. What I have come to realize though is that is not what these people truly believe when you break down their statement to its simplest form, there are some things that when challenged on even they have to agree is wrong. Such as, to say there is no right or wrong is actually condoning murder and rape, if there is no right or wrong we would have to empty every prison in the world and allow the murders and rapist to go free, because what they did is simply their nature and we have no right to judge them and say that what they did is wrong. When you point that out to someone who says there is no right or wrong they will immediately get upset. They will tell you that you can't do that, because it is wrong, that people who did things like that are criminals and need locked up and rehabilitated. I know this because I have pointed this out before.
       What I have realized from this is that what they are really saying is 'there is no God and I will live my life based on how feel, what I desire, and for myself and you can't or shouldn't judge me for this.' What they are really saying is that they are deciding their own moral code of behavior and we just have to accept it. But the truth is there a right way and a wrong way, there are some things that are right and some things that are wrong and the wrong way (our way without God's instruction) leads to death (Proverbs 14:12). Going back to the example I give to individuals that say this, the murders and rapist scenario, I have found that they believe these things to be wrong, they would get upset and be angry if someone did these things to a loved one because it is wrong to them. Well, if murder and rape are wrong, who decided this? How do we instinctively know that these actions are wrong and the perpetrators need to be punished for them? If you believe in God the answer to that is simple, we were created in His image (Genesis 1:27) and He believes them to be wrong, these things grieve Him so they grieve us, and the ten commandments (Exodus 20:1-17) tells us so, which also came from God.
       To admit this though means that they then have to accept that there is a God who has given us a path to follow, there is a God who judges our lives and will reward us for our actions whether it be in blessing or punishment. This is not a thing they want to admit though. If there truly is a God that has given us a path or structure to live by, a moral code that we are to follow, that means they will be judged and that they must call into question the choices they have made in life against how God tells us to live. This can be scary because it makes you accountable for your actions. I know it was for me when I looked myself in the mirror one day and realized I had fallen, that the choices I was making were wrong and I needed to get out of that situation before I hurt myself and others anymore than I already had. Admitting to myself that God's way is right and my way was wrong meant that I had to humble myself and admit I didn't know it all, I had to let go of my selfishness and pride, and I had to learn to live God's way instead of mine, that I had to give up my ways for His and that scares people.
       I will admit I am not always successful at this myself, often I fail and don't realize it, often pride or selfishness rises up in me and I don't live as I should. But God knew we were imperfect, flawed and prone to sin because of the fall in the garden of Eden, and our repeated falls from grace since. So God made a way for us through Jesus, He sent Yeshua to be our way, to be our example, and to ultimately be the sacrifice that would redeem us once and for all. In Jesus we are able to have forgiveness and can repent (repent means change not just I'm sorry) of our ways, turning to His. We can have salvation and the assurance of eternal life after our bodies have perished, but the first step is admitting there is a right way and a wrong, and that man is not capable of deciding that for himself. Be blessed today and everyday, in Yeshua's name.
      
Proverbs 12:15
The way of fools seems right to them, but the wise listen to advice.

Proverbs 14:12
There is a way that appears to be right, but in the end it leads to death.

Romans 1:32
Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them

Romans 6:21
What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death!

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment