Friday, April 15, 2016

Parting Words to my Grandfather

Dear Pappy,
     I don't know if I ever told you this but in high school I wrote a short story with you in it. The story was an assignment and I called it 'A Trip to Heaven.' In the story you met me on the hill where you lived, the house was just the way it was when I was a little girl, your red shed on the hill and all. In the story you were walking again, handsome and young, strong just like I knew you wished you still were. Today though, I know this is true for you. Today you are finally walking again, today you are healthy and strong being greeted at the gates of heaven by Jesus, Aunt Cindy, Grandma Grace and more. Today while we are saying good-bye, you are celebrating.
       Today we miss your smile pappy, your sense of humor, those strong stern looks you gave us when you knew we up to no good. We miss your quiet presence and treasure the memories we have of you, tractor rides on the hill, a trip to Fun Fore All, family meals, gardening, and visits to the nursing home with you and gram. Today we remember the best of you, the many things that made you so special and dear to us. We grieve our loss wishing we could have just one more day, but we know you're happier now.
         I want you to know Pap, though you probably wouldn't believe it, that you impacted us, all of us. You and Gram were a safe and loving place for us, a place we always knew we were welcome. You impacted us Pappy, you showed us love is real and can last a lifetime with how you and Grandma stuck things out, and how even after almost 60 years of marriage we could still catch glimpses of love and pride in your eyes when you looked at Gram. These moments, these lessons, and memories will be treasured and your legacy will live on in us as we pass on the stories of who you are to our children. Rest easy Pappy, we will see you again someday, and until then you will live on in our hearts.
      All my love             

No comments:

Post a Comment