Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Comfort

       Like many others I was shocked to learn of the apparent suicide of actor/comedian Robin Williams. Growing up he was one of my favorite actors and I have many happy memories of spending time with family or friends watching and laughing at his movies together. Robin Williams brought joy to many and his tragic death is another reminder of  just how serious an issue depression is.
      As many of my followers know I have struggled through my own battles with depression and anxiety since my early teens, and with a lot of hard work, prayer, and support I have made it to a time in my life where it is currently under control. What most of you don't know is that there was a time where I not only thought about suicide, but attempted it.
      I'm sharing this because I want anyone who is reading this and might be struggling with these same issues to understand that there is hope, there is recovery, and you are more loved than you know. I know how hard it can be to get out of bed, to look yourself in the mirror, to be around anyone, even those you love. The sorrow that surrounds you is like a dark heavy cloud pressing down not only on your emotions but your physical body as well making you achy and tired all the time.  I know how easy it is to convince yourself that no one cares, or that by taking your life you're doing them favor, trust me I've been there, I heard that voice too, but it was a lie, it is a lie.
      I am begging you, talk to someone who can help, see a counselor, a Pastor, a doctor, a friend, call Klove at 1 800 900 1300; they will pray with you and talk to you, talk to me and I'll pray for you. You don't have to struggle alone, and honestly you aren't, your Father's heart is breaking over the suffering in your soul, He wants to comfort you and restore you, you just have to let Him. I know to someone reading this who might be in the grips of depression seeing what I wrote just moment ago about God might be hard to digest, I know it was for me anyway, but coming through the darkness by His grace I also know it to be truth.  God wants to heal you and He has the power to if you are willing to give your life to Him, give your whole self, your whole heart to Him and peace, joy, and comfort will be given to you, Jesus says in Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." These aren't just nice words, this is a promise, and God always fulfills His promises.

Numbers 23:19-20
19 God is not human, that he should lie,
not a human being, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill?
20 I have received a command to bless;
he has blessed, and I cannot change it.

Matthew 11:28-30
28“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment