Friday, August 8, 2014

Not a Believer, A Follower

     One year ago I would have described myself as a Christian, a believer in Christ Jesus, today I would still describe myself as a Christian, but not a believer, I am a follower of Christ. I know to some that's a weird statement, it doesn't make sense to them because they don't understand the difference, but there is a difference. Neither one is bad, or wrong, just different stages of my walk in faith. For some they may have already gone through similar stages, or they could be experiencing the transition now, maybe they never will, maybe they were always a follower; all of our walks are different so I can't say for sure if anyone else has come to this same conclusion as I have, but this is where God has led me at this time.
       So now, let's break down why I have changed my description of myself from a believer to a follower. A believer is simply someone who believes in something, Mr. Webster puts it this way, to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so. I think that's an accurate description of where I was a year ago. I believed in Jesus Christ, I even loved him. But despite the fact that I believed in him, I believed in the Bible, and loved them both, I wasn't really right with God in my heart. Not that I was a bad person, I just wasn't living for God, I thought the fact that I loved and believed was enough, I was in that place for a long time, probably from even before I was born again. This isn't a bad place, I was comfortable with that relationship for a long time, and really I believe it was the stepping stone that prepared me to move to this new stage in my relationship.  
      Going back to Mr. Webster again, he describes a follower as a noun meaning a person or thing that followsa person who follows another in regard to his or her ideas or belief; disciple or adherent; a person who imitates, copies, or takes as a model or ideal; an attendant, servant, or retainer.  The last two descriptions in that definition are my favorite, that is how I see myself now or at least how I am trying to be, I am trying to reflect the virtues of Christ, trying to live a life that follows his example. I am trying to be an obedient servant of Jesus Christ. That's the difference between a believer and a follower.
       As a follower, just believing is no longer enough. I have a consuming desire now to know my Father, to pick up my cross daily and follow after Him, to obey in what is asked of me, and to make Him known to others. I crossed over from believing to following, and I can't tell you when or how it happened, but it did. It seemed like suddenly one day my soul just came alive in the Spirit with a need for God, not just the knowledge of Him, but a need to have a close binding relationship. So, this why I'm not a believer anymore, its gone past that, I am follower in service of my Master, trying daily to serve better not only Him but those around me so that they too may know His love.

Romans 1:16-17
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."

Ephesians 2:8
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment