Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Changes

       A month ago I would have described myself as a quiet, meek, introvert. I have always kind of been that way, I was always the type to keep my thoughts and feelings to myself and would only share them with a few people, and my diary. I never really did shy away from saying something that I felt needed said though, but I would have to be pretty worked up to do it, and when I did it was usually only if someone else was being hurt.  Lately though, I don't know, a boldness has started to emerge in me.
       It seems to me, the more I work on getting closer to Christ the more changes in my character I discover, always good changes but some are a little surprising. I honestly can't say who was more surprised this past Sunday when I said what I felt had to be said at church, me or my husband. But that is exactly what the Bible says will happen when, we are a new creation in Christ Jesus.
       I didn't use to understand what it meant to be a new creation in Christ, I thought it was something that we had to do ourselves, something we had to work at being. I heard about the transforming effect of God on people's lives and thought that it was just about their hearts being touched and a desire to change ignited. And I wasn't entirely wrong, but I wasn't right either, I was missing something until recently.
       As I have drawn closer to Christ and learned more about Him through the word I have worked to change myself, and so has God. As I have read more in an attempt to better understand my Father and reflect Him, He has changed me in ways I didn't expect. This boldness in my character is one such way. It's not something that I tried to develop in myself, but it is something I noticed developing in my writing lately, and then on Sunday. It seems as though my spirit suddenly refuses to remain silent anymore, I feel like I need to speak out about Christ and for His church. This is God working in me, on this I have no doubt.
       I finally realize that becoming a new creation in Christ is not something I do, something that I have to try to be, something to strive and desire to be but something God does in you. He is raising things in my spirit so that I can fulfill His purpose for my life.  He is changing my character, my heart, and my desires, He is creating a new person from the ashes of who I used to be, and all the time that foolish girl gets farther away from the woman I am becoming. This change is open to all of us, God can make you into a completely new person just as He is me, if you are willing to give Him all of you, willing to seek Him with your whole heart, and willing to let go of anything that may be standing between you.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

 Ezekiel 36:26
I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.

Romans 6:4
We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.      

No comments:

Post a Comment