Friday, August 1, 2014

Struggling Against Comfort

     As I rocked an over tired baby to sleep in my arms and watched him struggle to stay awake I thought of how often we are like that. There are times when we all struggle against our needs for our wants. As I held the crying baby, comforting him, kissing him, rocking him, holding him close to my heart I thought about how this is what I often do with God, I fight against His love and comfort because I'm not getting what I want.
       I know God has good things stored up for me, I just have to stay in His will, but often I find myself struggle against Him as He holds me trying to calm my soul, reminding me that what He is doing in my life is best. I don't usually recognize it right away, to be honest, but I do know I do it, and actually I have been doing it all week. I've been demanding things my way, in my time, instead of just trusting that my Father knows my needs. I've made my week harder than it needed to be, just like my little one was making his day harder on himself by trying so hard to stay awake when he really needed rest. We made ourselves grouchy and ill-tempered, and then took it out on the people who were trying to help us feel better.
       Thankfully, we both ended up giving into our needs. Realizing what I had been doing I have asked the Father for forgiveness that I know I already have received, and my dear little one is now fast asleep on my chest as I type this. It's never to late to do the right thing or ask forgiveness with God. He loves us unconditionally and always; trusting Him is hard sometimes, but not because of who He is, but because of who we are, children chasing the new and interesting without thinking about the long term. Our planets current state is a perfect example of this, we were given a planet perfectly designed to supply our needs, and now its dyeing because of the smog and pollution we put here in the pursuit of our wants.
       If you have been struggling with God, asking for answers about something or resolution in a situation like I was this week, could it be that you are really fighting the comfort and rest He is providing? Maybe it's not that He isn't answering you, maybe you're just over tired and need to let go of your burden and rest in the arms of the Lord.

Job 15:11-13
11 Are God’s consolations not enough for you,
words spoken gently to you?
12 Why has your heart carried you away,
and why do your eyes flash,
13 so that you vent your rage against God
and pour out such words from your mouth?  
 
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment