Friday, May 2, 2014

Let my Heart be Broken

     When I am scrolling around on communities on G+ or even just watching the news my heart breaks because of all the sadness and evil in the world. I find myself often being upset by the images, or post and honestly most of the time I end up changing the channel or scrolling past. I feel a need to protect myself from the harshness of this world, and to not over load on the negativity that is pumped in to us on a daily basis.
     This morning though I find myself wondering if it is the right way to handle things. Not that pumping yourself full of  negativity is good for you, I'm just wondering if what I really need to do is let my heart break for these people and their situations. The Bible says in Psalm 34:18 that The Lord is close to the broken hearted, could allowing your heart to break for the struggling and praying out of that brokenness be what's needed for their healing? And needed to bring your relationship closer to God?
     My mind started to go there this morning as I prayed over a person who put up a post about wanting to die. I don't know this person or their situation, but my heart broke for them because I know that feeling, I've been there before many times. I left them a couple messages telling them I am here for them and willing to talk to them or just listen. Then I prayed for them, and as I did I thought about how heavy my heart was for them. I thought about if it broke my heart this much, how much more was it breaking God's heart? Then that section of the verse came to mind, The Lord is close to the broken hearted and the thought that maybe The Lord is close to the broken hearted not only for comfort, but because its through heart break and acts of compassion that we are able to see a glimpse of His love. When we allow our heart to break and move us to action, even if its just prayer, we are acting on God's love.
     After spending a little time thinking about it, and praying I think it's time I stop shielding myself from the evil in this world and start praying for it, start working against it by encouraging, inspiring, and physically helping when I can. We cannot expect the world to change or hearts to change for The Lord if we are not broken for the broken. If we don't meet them where they are and express compassion and love to them. We need to let our hearts break for others and let The Lord lead us in the healing.

Psalm 34:17-20
17 The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
18The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
19The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the Lord delivers him from them all;
20he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment