Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Praise Regardless

     I have been in pain for days, but I am still blessed. I am struggling with being patient and kind to others as I know I should because I hurt, and that's where my focus has been, but I am still blessed. I have had a hard time seeing that the last couple of days, I've had a hard time enjoying or being grateful for what I have. I have been complaining, and pleading with God to make the pain stop. I have been begging for comfort, without giving any thanks for the comforts I do have.
      Then this morning as I drove into work and I was listening to my radio; they started talking about praising in the storm, and a couple of people called in and gave testimony. I felt ashamed listening to these people. Their struggles, their burdens were so much worse than my own. I may not be at my best right now, but it could be so much worse. I may not feel good, but I have been able to get up out of bed and go to work anyway. I listened to these people talk and one of them, a woman, made a comment about how even on her bad days she tries to find at least one thing to be grateful for, and if thats too hard she'll pray to find the lesson in her struggle. Her words struck me deep and made me ask myself a question, if a woman dying of cancer can praise The Lord for the little blessings; why can't I? If she can look for a lesson in the struggle, why can't I?
     Honestly, there is no reason. I realize that and I was ashamed of myself because of what I heard this morning. I knew I could be doing better, I know I can do better. I could have had a better attitude if I had chosen to, I could have found lots to be grateful for had I tried, and in that I found my lesson. It's a lesson I have had to repeat many times, and I am sure will have to learn many more times over. There is always a reason to be grateful, there is always a reason to praise. Even when the storm rages and you can't see the light, we know its always there, and that is enough that we should praise.
      Today I make the choice I should have made days ago, I choose to praise despite my pain, and despite everything else. I choose to be grateful, because I am blessed.

Isaiah 49:13
Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For The Lord comforts His people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment