Thursday, May 19, 2016

A Close Call and Lesson Learned

       On my way into work today I had a post I wanted to write, I had a subject I wanted to talk about. I thought and prayed about it for a good portion of my 45 minute drive, but in the last 10 minutes of the drive it was completely wiped from my mind when a SUV suddenly shifted lanes in front of me and nearly hit the front end of my car. I work outside of Pittsburgh, so to be honest this is something I deal with pretty regularly but it never ceases to upset me, and this mornings incident was a closer than some of the others because when I had to slam on my brakes to avoid the accident so did the car tailgating me, thank the good Lord we both had good brakes and there was no accident.
       My instincts in this situation were to honk my horn, yell, scream, and use that ugly middle finger, something I haven't done in years actually come to think about it. I was angry, or maybe furious is a better word with the car that had done this, and to be totally honest I did curse in the second it happened, something I'm not really proud of. After that I raged in my car the rest of the way into work completely forgetting about what I had wanted to say today, which further frustrated me.
       Then I opened up my Google+ app and the first thing I saw was a word I had heard earlier this morning while driving and in better spirits, "A gentle response defuses anger, but a sharp tongue kindles a temper-fire." Proverbs 15:1. Typically when I read this I think of people having an argument, in fact I try to remember this when I am angry with my husband so we can talk calmly and avoid an argument ( I won't give you my batting average on this because it's a bit disappointing, I'm working on it though); but today I saw this incident and thought about how my reaction could have been different.
       I didn't give this guy the middle finger, I didn't scream out my windows at him, and I didn't lay into the horn like I wanted but I still did curse and allowed my temper to flare, but what would have happened if I had responded in gratitude instead? A paragraph or so above I thanked God that the guy behind me and myself both had good brakes, which enabled us to avoid having a collision, but what if I had thanked God then? This is what came to me as I read that proverb this morning, and it convicted my heart.
       Regardless of the fact that what this person did was dangerous and put more than myself and my unborn child in a bad position, I still could have responded in gratitude and maybe avoided spending the last 10 minutes of my drive fuming over something I had no power to change. I could have chosen to instead be grateful that no one was hurt, that we were able to avoid an accident and that everyone was still able to get to work or home in one piece. I could have let gratitude to God fill my heart, and let the whole thing roll off my back, because like I said it's pretty common in this morning rush hour traffic.
       Today I saw for the first time how a different response than cursing at the car in front of me when this happens could have changed my morning, could have stopped me from pulling into work annoyed or angry as I so often do. I saw how I can now do better and be better in this area of my life, how I can tame my tongue and tame my emotions too. I hope today brothers and sisters that if something upsets you, that you will do better than I did. I hope that you will pause and realize 'well it could have been worse' and respond with gratitude that it wasn't worse. Be blessed my family in Christ. 

Proverbs 14:29   
Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.

Proverbs 19:11   
Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Colossians 3:7-8   
In these you too once walked, when you were living in them. But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.

James 1:19-20   
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment