Monday, May 16, 2016

Submitting the Flesh to the Spirit

       I often read the post of others to get new perspective and to hear other's testimony's and experiences with God, to learn, and to be encouraged. One brother whose post I read often has recently been talking a bit about our survival instinct, that thought that rises up in all of us going "what can I do? how I will I survive?" and how that thought pattern in our flesh is contrary to the spirit. As those walking in the spirit our thoughts should be "God I don't understand but if this is what you want I will obey." I will admit, especially with the circumstances I have been going through these last few months, that this was a hard pill to swallow at first.
       When I first read that in one of his post I was like 'wow, that's a bit hard to do, survival and self-preservation are built into us, it's natural,' and I tried to dismiss it, tried to justify our natural reactions. But as I did that it only made me see how right he really was. As I drove to and from work talking to God about it and many other things and spent time meditating on what this person said as well as my own reactions I realized any time I 'respond naturally' or from instinct it's usually the wrong response. For example, when someone makes me angry my natural responses tell me to hit them, or to yell at them but the Godly course of action is different, the bible teaches us to be slow to anger (James 1:19) and to take these offenses and feelings to our Father so He can help us to come up with a better response. When I saw this it was like the light came on.
       I realized after spending several days working through my pride and flesh to get to this point that he was right, our natural instincts are fleshly, they are carnal in nature, but God is not, He is spirit (John 4:24) and we should be walking in that Spirit being obedient to it. Our flesh and instincts will lead us time and time again into the wrong actions such as lust, and wrath, or selfishness and cold-heartedness. Our instincts are 'me first' by nature and it takes practice, patience and a spirit willing to submit to God to overcome that. Our instincts are all about our own comfort and our own survival but God tells us not to fear and to trust Him, He tells us in the bible and through the example of the early apostles that our bodies can be broken and may be broken for Him but that our reward will be in the spirit and new kingdom to come.
       As I thought on all this, especially this morning, my heart opened up to the truth and I desired for God to help me become more obedient to the Spirit, and less in tune with my flesh. I desired to be a better person thinking less often of my own comfort and more of others. Today I ask His help to further crucify my flesh so that the Holy Spirit can shine brighter through me, I ask you to give thought to your own behaviors, are you operating from the flesh or from the Spirit? Take time and talk about this with God, ask Him to help you grow spiritual and to kill the flesh. Be Blessed my friends, today and everyday, in Yeshua's name.

Proverbs 3:5-6   
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Luke 1:38    
And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.

Romans 8:7   
For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot.

Romans 12:1-2    
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment