Tuesday, May 17, 2016

My Will or His

       I love when the inspiration for a post comes from someone asking a question, which is exactly how this one came about. Yesterday I was asked 'How do you know it's God will and not your own subconscious?" Which honestly is a question I've asked myself before many times because as this person pointed out it is easy to deceive ourselves. In the past I wrote a post called "Where there is Peace" (http://jennthorn.blogspot.com/2015/09/where-there-is-peace.html) where I talked about how my husband and I had to make a difficult decision that we just weren't getting anywhere with until we realized that when you are making a decision about action to take there is peace in your soul when it is in God's will, this has since been the major way in which we decide things, we look for the peace but it's not the only method we have or do use.
        Another way is the simplest, most clear, and probably the rarest of all the ways I have used to make a decision, a clear audible word from God, but that has only happened a couple of times, more often than not I will instead get a deep urging in my heart or soul that I need to do something. Typically when it happens this way that something is not something I want to do, it is against my flesh nature, or outside my comfort zone, for example one day at church I felt I had to get up and say something, a word that had been planted in my spirit during service. I am introverted to the extreme, I actually took a test when I was in therapy that scored me as 90% introverted, standing up before the congregation and delivering this word was terrifying. But once I did there was peace in my spirit, despite my hammering heart.
       The other way I tend to use a lot is asking three or four others to pray for an answer to that particular problem as well, I do not tell them my hopes, or what I may be feeling God is leading me too because then I could not be sure that this was confirmation. Instead I wait to hear back from them, and compare their answers to mine, whether it's scriptures, dreams, or a word; whichever is the majority consensus is typically what I go with, unless it leaves me no peace, but to be honest that has never happened and only once did I receive answers that conflicted with each other, in that case consensus ruled and I'm happy with the outcome.
       The last way we use quite often is to compare the situation to scripture. What does the word actually say on this subject, because I know that if I am acting in accordance with His word I am in His will. This is another scenario where I am always left with peace and confidence in the action I take. Even if I cannot find my exact situation, I can usually find guidance for it, or a story/parable that gives me some clarity to help me decide.
       I hope this helps anyone else who was asking that same question as this other person, I hope it sheds some light on helping you to find God's will in your own life. I'm sure to some it stills leave room to doubt, but there always will be those with faith and doubting Thomas'. I'm sure there are more ways to know, but for me these are the tools I have been equipped with thus far on my journey and what I found to work for me. If you know of other ways please share, I would love to hear them!! For now, be blessed my brothers and sisters.

 Proverbs 8:17   
I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.

Isaiah 55:8-12
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands

Matthew 7:8   
For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. 

1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; that each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable, not in passionate lust like the pagans, who do not know God; and that in this matter no one should wrong or take advantage of a brother or sister. The Lord will punish all those who commit such sins, as we told you and warned you before. For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment