Thursday, May 5, 2016

Driving thru Fear

       Yesterday I had a scary experience on the Pennsylvania turnpike as I was driving home from work. To many this scary experience would be nothing, but for me it was a big deal because I have always been terrified of spiders. We're talking running away in terror and screaming for someone to kill it scared. And to make matters even worse this week the speed limit on the turnpike was raised which means cars are driving even faster than they normally do, for some reason now that the speed limit is 70 people feel they have the license to go 90, which made this whole experience a lot more scary.
      I had barely been on the turnpike 10 minutes, and  things were going fine, I was listening to my favorite Christian radio station, singing along to the music and in a pretty good mood, happy to be going home after a long day at work. Then suddenly I saw the eight legged creep walking across my dashboard. My instinct was to scream, I started to loose focus on my driving and hyper focused on the one inch nightmarish creature that was in my car and all the time walking closer to me. I struggled to focus on the road and my driving while my mind raced about what I could do to get rid of the spider.
       This internal battle continued for several minutes, my eyes darting back and forth from my eight legged tormentor and the road ahead of me, panic continued to rise in my chest, and soon I found that my driving was being adversely impacted by the distraction, scaring me even more because ever since I was a teenager I had this horrible idea that I would be in a car accident while pregnant, and it has sat in my mind and lately come up more and more. Typically I am a cautious driver, but this spider really had me out of myself, it really had me distracted and scared. But somehow despite the spider and that terrible thought of being in an  accident, something rose up inside me, a strength I didn't know I possessed took over. I said no to fear and no to losing focus, I made the decision then to not allow that idea to win and become real, somehow I found the strength to say no to focusing on my fear.
       I have no explanation for where this sudden strength came from except that it was the Holy Spirit nudging me to the truth that I had the choice to react, I had the choice to say no to these fears. The bible tell us in 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." And this truth came over me yesterday as I disciplined my self and forced myself to focus on where I was going instead of the fears that plagued my mind at the moment. Obviously, I made it home safe and sound after that revelation and as I thought about those events and the scripture I shared above I realized how this situation was a great analogy for what I have been experiencing in my current life situations as well. Things keep popping up to make me scared, like this morning a text from my bank saying my checking account was below $50 after all my recent bill payments had been taken out, or finding out that job or no job the 10th of June is my last day with the family I work for. But in each situation I refuse to let fear win, I just keep saying 'Father I know you will provide, you haven't failed me yet and I refuse to give into fear and worry.'  
         Today I share this in the hope that it will encourage you to say no to fear too. That you can see yourself in the story I shared and know that the strength to stand up to your fears and say no is in you already. That the Holy Spirit that dwells within you is there, and that thru the sacrifice of Jesus we have nothing left to fear, fear and death are conquered, nailed to the cross, and we are overcomers. Be blessed and be strong in the Lord, today and always.

Joshua 1:9   
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Psalm 56:3   
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.

Hebrews 2:14-15   
Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.

No comments:

Post a Comment