Monday, May 2, 2016

Random Acts of Kindness to Change the Heart

       Today I'm having a hard time deciding what to write, my heart has so many things I want to share. Things like how expectations can lead to bitterness and disappointment, how without saying a word you can lead others to Christ by the walk you have and His light shinning in you. How in a week's time you can go from stressed and discouraged to positive and hopeful, even when things are still uncertain, how letting go of bitterness can create healing, and how doing something kind for someone you are angry at can help to heal that wound. All this has been so present and so important to my development this past couple of weeks, to helping me grow in the Lord and I want to share all of it because I am grateful for the lessons but I know that I can share only one of these today.
        Now that I have poured all that out though, it seems clear to me which I need to share today so I'll start with the act of kindness towards someone you are angry or bitter towards. A while ago I shared with you that God had revealed to me that I had let a seed of bitterness grow up in my heart towards certain individuals. When I saw this in myself I had to repent and ask God to help me overcome it so that the bitterness wouldn't take me over and become something that would inhibit my walk with the Father. I know I have His forgiveness now, and it was time to do right by those who I had hardened my heart towards.
       With one I tried several different things but everything continued to fall through, there was one complication after another and after some prayer I came to a place where I felt maybe the time isn't right to repair this relationship but that it was important to let the bitterness go and be open for when the time is right. With the second though things worked out much better. With them I had the opportunity to do something kind, unexpected, and not take credit for it. I did something for them without them knowing it was me and it was crazy how in that act of obedience to God the bitterness in my heart towards them started to melt away. By loving them when I didn't want to, specifically in a way where they may never know it was me, gave me peace about things and allowed me to let go of the resentment that had built up.
       This experience taught me something I already knew in a whole new way, love conquers all. And it made me wonder, if we do random acts of kindness towards those we fear, hate, misunderstand, are bitter towards or just plain don't like how many bridges can we build? How much hope can we produce? How much love can we create in our hearts and others? By being loving, even when you don't want to, what can be built in the place of that bitterness, spite, fear, prejudice or hate? What can loving kindness change in you and in those you show love too?
       Today brothers and sisters I ask you to love, to be kind, and show Jesus in what you do. If there's someone who hurt you, someone you're angry at, or someone you hold prejudice against, show them love, do something kind for them even if they never know it was you. Allow your heart to be softened towards them with your act of love and let the bitterness slip away. Be blessed my family, in Jesus name.

Luke 6:35    
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.

John 13:34-35   
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another

1 Corinthians 16:14   
Let all that you do be done in love.

1 Peter 4:8   
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins

          

No comments:

Post a Comment