Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Obedience isn't Always Easy

       Yesterday's post came about completely against my own plans or intent. To be honest I had no desire, inspiration, or will to write when I got up yesterday. I actually had intended to only re-post old blogs if I posted at all this week. I was and am still tired and frankly just wanted to rest, but something inside said that I needed to write so I began, and at first I didn't know what to write. I tried a few things but nothing felt right, then all the sudden that post flowed from my finger tips without me having to put a whole lot of thought into it, it was like it wrote itself. And now today I am glad I obeyed that urging despite what I felt like and despite what I wanted because several people told me that it encouraged them.
       This brought about a realization I have had before, and that honestly I'm still often failing at and struggling with, God isn't always going to put us in places we want to be, He isn't always going to ask us to do things we feel like doing, but honoring Him means that we are to be obedient anyway. For proof of that statement we really only need to look at Moses who tried to get out of being Israel's leader and gave God a bunch of excuses (Exodus 4:1-17), or Jonah who didn't want to go to Nineveh and tried to run away (Book of Jonah), and even Jesus in Gethsemane asked if the cup could be passed (Matthew 26:39). Not everything God asks us to do is going to be what we want, and it's then we need the Holy Spirit's help to put our flesh into submission and do as we should.
       But I know it isn't always easy, I know our feelings and desires can really challenge us and make us want to turn away from what was asked, just like Jonah did. Like I said I struggle with this myself, sometimes it's something simple like giving someone a message that you feel God pressing on your heart for them, but the fear of seeming or sounding crazy stops you. Sometimes it's being told to give someone something you wanted or still want like money, food, or maybe some sort of possession, or even your time, or it maybe something like what I am facing. A year ago someone told me that God wanted me to get involved with some kind of homeschooling thing, they didn't have much detail, just those words. And this year someone asked me to be involved in a homeschooling project, my gut reaction both times was and is still 'yuck.' I have no heart or desire for this at all, and honestly I don't think I can work with the person who is doing it, so I have tried to find ways to talk myself out of this being God's will for me, but if I'm really really honest with you and me, I haven't prayed to ask either. I'm too afraid that this is the opportunity I was told about and I just don't want it.
       In this situation I can see where I am failing God, I am not being obedient and I'm disappointed in myself. I realize now I NEED to pray about this. I need to ask Him if this is even the opportunity He had planned for me in the first place and what I need to do to go forward if it is. I need to walk in the way He directs even if it isn't what I want. I don't know why He wants me to do this or when or with who. I don't know who may be blessed by the work, who needs the teachings that the program would provide or even what they would be, but I know I can no longer neglect it, I need to start getting His direction and walking in obedience with it, whether I like it or not. Brothers and sisters, please know that obedience to God is important to our walk, and God isn't always going to keep us in our comfort zones, or ask us to do things we like, sometimes in order to grow us He will lead us into places we don't want to be, or into situations that are difficult for us, but we must be willing we must obey. Be blessed today and always my family, in Jesus name.

Isaiah 1:19   
If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land;

Jeremiah 7:23   
But this command I gave them: ‘Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and you shall be my people. And walk in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you.’

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God

Ephesians 2:10   
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment