Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Love When it's Tempting Not too

       Sometimes in life people we knew or used to be friends with will grow cold or bitter towards us for reasons we don't know or understand. We have two choices in that circumstances, we can allow their behavior to harden our hearts against them as well or we can choose to love them despite their change in behavior towards us. This is something that I had been wrestling with for a while as a former co-worker and friend has stopped showing me any kindness or support over the last couple of years.
       Sometime ago I was in a somewhat similar situation but in that case the difference was that I knew what I had done to hurt them and I repented of it to both this person and God. After time and seeing that I truly just wanted to rejoice that they were doing well and show compassion when they were not they forgave me and we have since been rebuilding and healing that situation. in this case I don't know and this person more or less pretends I don't exist, which is their choice and I won't hold that against them, I know there are people in my past who I'm happy to leave their too.
       There have been have times recently, especially with expecting my son, that I wished, looked for, and was disappointed when I didn't see this person supporting me. I was hurt because I once thought we could be good friends, but I know now that isn't the case. I have debated keeping this person on my Facebook or cutting ties with them completely, and eventually I may do that, but at the moment I'm not ready, I still like to see they are doing well and that their children are growing, thriving and loving God.
       Last night though, I'll be honest and say that the thought of cutting her off and being bitter towards her ran across my mind as she posted a picture of her sonogram, her third child. I saw it and a battled raged inside my heart, part of me was happy for her, as a sister in Christ I rejoiced in her joy just as we are instructed too(Romans 12:15), but there was another side of me, the mean, nasty, ugly side that got angry. That side said to cut her off, to not acknowledge her blessing, or be bitter over it because of how cold she has been towards me, but then another thought ran across my mind as I stared at that little life in the picture on the screen, "love your enemies, do good to those who hate you." (Luke 6:27)
       As those words sank into my heart, any bitterness that had rose up melted away and I simply rejoiced, even responding to her post. Showing her love and being kind to her despite how she may feel about me now may never change anything, and I'm okay with that, I understand that sometimes we need to leave people in the past for reasons we may not know how to express to them. I understand that she may not like me anymore and that's okay, but I can't let how she feels and treats me cause me to respond in bitterness and hate. Cutting someone off because they are bad for you, or leaving someone in the past because that relationship has run it's course is one thing but we should never allow hate or bitterness to be the reasons that we distance ourselves, in I John 4:20 he writes "If anyone says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen."   If we really love God,  if really abide Him, hate has no place in our hearts, because God is love (1 John 4:8) and to be a Christian is to reborn in Christ's image who cannot hate because He is perfectly in the Father and the Father in Him.
       Today brothers and sisters I hope you love those who hate you, love your enemies, despite the temptation to react like for like. I hope you rise above our carnal instincts and show kindness to those who it is tempting to harden our hearts towards. Walk righteously before God my family and let His example in Yeshua and the words he gave us through the apostles and prophets teach you to set malice aside and take up the easy burden of love. Be Blessed.

Matthew 5:43-48
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Philippians 2:3-4   
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others

1 Peter 4:8-9   
Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.

1 John 4:19-21   
We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him: whoever loves God must also love his brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment