Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Angel and the Bad Man

       As a little girl I loved watching old westerns with my grandfather and my dad, specifically movies starring John Wayne. I think I've probably seen every western that he starred in, some I even watched without my grandfather or my dad just because I grew to like them so much from the time we spent sharing them together. One of my absolute favorites was called 'Angel and the Bad Man' it was a movie where John Wayne was a rascal to say the least and an outlaw to be accurate. In the movie he gets injured and ends up in the care of a Quaker family on the frontier, a family with some neighbor trouble and a beautiful daughter, Penelope Worth, who falls in love with John Wayne's character, Quirt Evans.
       When I was little what I liked about the movie was the story itself how the beautiful, kindhearted Quaker girl got the rough gun slinger to change his ways and stay with her, to become an honest man. But today what sticks out about the movie to me is the Quaker belief that you mar your soul by wrong actions, by sinful or vengeful actions. Often today when I think of this movie, and even my own actions I think of that first.
       I know that in Yeshua I am clean and made new (Ezekiel 11:19-20; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 2:20; and more), but I also know that I can still stumble and sin, I can still fall short because my flesh is weak though my spirit is willing (Matthew 26:41). So I think of that belief and I imagine my soul, pure and white as fresh snow because of being washed in the blood of the risen lamb, then I see my failures come into the picture and make dark spots on it, spots that break my heart and make me sad because I know they break His too, and that brings me to repentance for my actions. It leaves me asking God to help me stay on the narrow path that these sins may be washed from me and I can be pure in His sight once more. Thinking of it this way leaves me accountable for my actions, and leaves me really wanting to do better.
       James 4:17 tells us that 'If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them.' And to me this goes along with the Quaker belief stated in this movie that you mar your soul when you act against what God has said is right. Too often today we forget to be accountable for our actions or just plain deny responsibility, we try to blame it on others or demons and the devil, but the truth is you are the one who decided to take that course, you are the one who stepped outside God's will and direction. Someone may have provoked you or coerced you, you may have been tempted, but ultimately the decisions was yours, and you are accountable for that choice.
       Today I encourage you to visualize your soul as you make your choices, be aware of them and actively involved, will this choice, will this decision leave a mark on you? Is it right or wrong by God's standards? Today don't live in the moment but live for eternity, live for your soul, and for the Holy Spirit that dwells within you. Live for Jesus and make conscious decisions to do right. Whatever takes, whatever new way of thinking you must learn, be aware my brothers and sisters, you represent God to the broken, hurting and mislead of this world, we are the light in the darkness, and our walks should point to who God is and how living His way brings the fruit of the spirit and fullness of life that we all desire. Today and always be blessed.

Psalm 106:3   
Blessed are they who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times!

Isaiah 33:15-17   
He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands, lest they hold a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed and shuts his eyes from looking on evil, he will dwell on the heights; his place of defense will be the fortresses of rocks; his bread will be given him; his water will be sure. Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar.   

Ephesians 2:10   
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 4:22-24   
To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment