Friday, May 20, 2016

A Promise Fullfilled

      When God makes a promise to you it can be counted on, it may take years to come to pass, but it can be trusted. Around 4-5 years ago, shortly after Nick and I were married I had a strange dream that never left me and that I believed came from God. In that dream Nick was standing at the foot of our bed and behind him where our dresser should have been there was a light and stairs. In this dream Nick told me that God had just told him our first child would be a son, something that at that point neither of us was actually thinking about except in the distant future. I was shocked and the dream ended abruptly without anymore details or having a chance to respond, it was intense and I honestly wasn't sure until the next morning whether I had been asleep or awake and I only knew then because I asked Nick about it. I realize as I write this it sounds a little crazy, but it's true.
       Not long after having that dream I caught baby fever, but Nick wasn't ready, it would take him longer to catch up fearing making the same mistakes as his father who had left when he was three, and then disappeared completely from his life before the age of 10. This desire of mine caused us lots of strife, we argued a bit, and I cried a lot, sometimes feeling like it was cruel of God to tell me I would have a son and then keep him from me. Often I would kneel on my bathroom floor calling out and crying to God about the hurt I felt in my heart over this situation, and always I heard the same word echo through my mind and heart, 'patient.' Over and over He instructed me to be patient, He would remind me of Sarah, of Hannah, and of Rachael, and after striving and struggling for a little while longer I finally listened.
       When I finally did as the Lord said things turned around and Nick and I finally got on the same page, we were finally able to come to an agreement and started planning our family. As we would talk about our future children I kept that dream close to my heart and would sometimes bring it up, but my husband, ever the doubting Thomas, would say to me "I never get what I want the first time around, I'm sure we'll have a girl first." And I would just smile and say, "okay baby," still believing it would be a boy.
        Then in early February, shortly after my 28th birthday we got the positive test. I was on cloud nine! I knelt down on my floor crying and praising God, thanking Him and rejoicing that I would finally be a mother. My heart sang His praises as tears of joy rushed down my face, and still I believed I had my son, I believed God had fulfilled His promise to me. As we have progressed through the pregnancy I have never stopped believing, hoping, or reminding God of that dream, but Nick would keep cautioning me that it could still be a girl and that I could be wrong, so I did my best to play it cool and neutral, but the longer I was pregnant the more certain I became it was a boy.
       Yesterday was finally the day we had been waiting for, the sonogram where we would be able to see the sex of the baby and I was beyond excited on our way there. I knew I was having a boy but I wanted to see it on the screen, I wanted to have that confirmation for myself and Nick and I kept praying we would be able to see that the baby would allow us to get a good picture that we could tell from. Still on the way there, Nick said he would not be surprised if it was girl, that it was what he expected even though he really wanted a son, I just smiled.
        In the office anticipation killed me as they did the measurements and took shot after shot of the baby without me being able to see anything except Nick's reaction to how our little guy wiggled, and played inside me. I could tell he was amazed at how much the baby moved. Then finally they turned the screen toward me and the gentleman doing the sonogram started explaining what was on the screen, going through each part of the body, head, tummy, arms, spine, and so on until we came to the legs and his very visible little penis! I rejoiced, and Nick's eyes watered as he looked at his son!
        Today I couldn't be happier, more grateful, or more confident in my God. It was a struggle to be honest to hold onto that promise at times, it was hard to believe in some moments that I would be a mother at all, let alone have a son when many 'predicted' I would have a girl first. But I trusted God over man, over my circumstances, over my fears and over my moments of doubt. I was obedient and waited patiently when others encouraged me to take matters into my own hands and trick my husband when he wasn't ready. I relied on God to fulfill what He had promised in a dream nearly 5 years ago, and because of that He kept His word to me, I have my heart's desire, a son. Today I encourage you my family in Christ to be obedient and hold onto the promises of God, remind Him and yourself of them often, show God you are willing to do it His way and be obedient while you wait for it to pass. Let no one talk you into disregarding it or going outside God to make it happen, trust Him and hold on in faith. Be blessed today always in Yeshua's name.

Numbers 23:19   
God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

Deuteronomy 7:9   
Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations,

2 Thessalonians 3:3   
But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.

Hebrews 11:6   
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him

No comments:

Post a Comment