Tuesday, March 4, 2014

I Don't See It

     Sometimes people see things in you that you don't see yourself. Yesterday, I was talking with my family about the books I am working on, both my collection of short stories to be published later this month and eventually my novel. When I said that I didn't expect a whole lot out of it, but hope it does well enough that I can make a little off of it my family  was surprised, they seems to expect it do very well.
     Their confidence in me surprises me. Especially my husband. Not that he isn't supportive, he always is, he's just very grounded and practical, less of a dreamer than I am. But he really seems to believe in my abilities as a writer and has been a huge help to me as I type the final drafts of my short stories. He is always telling me how proud he is, and how impressed he is with me. He has been amazingly encouraging, as has the rest of my family, and my employers.
     I don't know what other people see in me, I couldn't even guess, but people believe in me and I find it kind of shocked by it actually. My dad, yesterday, really seemed to think that this writing thing I'm trying could lead to something for me, and my mother in law seems to feel the same. I feel blessed to have so many supporting me. But I honestly wonder if I deserve it. I had teachers in school who really believed in me as a writer, and I didn't understand that either. But, its always what I have loved to do.
     I may not see what my family does, I don't think I'm anything special at all, but people around seem to. I don't know, I guess I'm just trying to make sense of it this morning because I woke up wondering, why do they think I can do this? What makes them think that I am good enough to be recognized? I'm not giving up, far from it. I will be published, I will make a living writing. But I can't help but wonder if I deserve the confidence I have received from the people around me. I suppose only time will tell.

1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment