Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Unexpected Turn of Life

    I don't know about every school obviously, but at the school I went to every couple of years starting from about 7th grade on they would give us a test that was meant to help us find what our weak and strong points were and what fields of employment we would be best at based on these points. I always scored very high in three fields, retail business/sales, education, and counseling.
      I never liked that I scored high in business, which was always my highest score, I had absolutely no desire or passion for going into business. Mostly because I related it to corporate business. I knew I'd be good at, just instinctively I knew I could succeed in the business world. But like I said that wasn't where my passion was, instead I pursued a career in education, more specifically early childhood education.
      During the last seven, almost eight now, years that I have worked in child care; I have discovered something that when I was younger I never would have believed, I like business. And more surprisingly the more I work on and towards the business making the calls, doing the research, and discovering how to start a business the more natural things feel. It's like second nature to me, and I never thought that would be true.
      I always knew I didn't want to spend the rest of my life working for someone else, I just knew I'd never be content with that, but I always figured I would just start watching kids out of my home, or open a daycare someday, or buy one from someone who wanted to retire. But I never saw this. I never imagined starting a coffee shop from the ground up, and I never imagined that as I started taking serious steps towards that future I would feel so confident about it, or that I would enjoy it so much.
      We can't really predict where life will take us, and we should never count anything out, even if at the time it doesn't seem like the right fit, because sometimes it's all about timing. I am sitting here re-reading what I just wrote about timing, and thinking back on some things in my life, it really was all about timing, but not my timing His. I see important lessons I had to learn before I could do this, before I would be ready to take this on, and I see that I am exactly where I need to be to make it. Life isn't going the way I planned, and I am grateful for that because the future I am presented with now is far beyond what I expected.

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the play's of a person's heart; but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.

No comments:

Post a Comment