Thursday, March 13, 2014

Unintentional Experiment

     People always have said to make a good first impression, but we also hear a lot of  'it doesn't matter what you wear', 'wear what makes you comfortable, or happy.' I'm starting to learn though that certain styles of dress recieve certain treatment. I am learning all the time that you can elicate certain treatment by how you dress.
     I used to work at a daycare with a strict dress code where they told us if we wanted to be treated like professionals we needed to dress like professionals. At that point and time though, I didn't really think what I wore had any impact on how I was treated by other people. I followed the dress code anyway because, well, I needed that pay check and my boss told me to do it. One day after work when I managed not to get covered in baby snot or puke, I stopped at a store on my way home. I was surprised that several employees came up to me right away and asked if I needed assistance. I figured it was just that the employees here were more courteous than at the store closer to my home.
     Shortly after that I decided to try an experiment and test the dress like a professional to be treated like a professional theory. I went to a store where I know 'regular' people go all the time. When I went in the first time I dressed like I normally do, a t-shirt, and jeans. I wandered around the store like I was looking for something, no one came to help though, I had to seek out an employee.
     Later that same day I went back all dressed up and had my hair done and make-up on. I did the same as before, wandered around the store looking for something, dressed up like I had a little money I had three employees come up to me and offer assistance. I always found that rather interesting and remember it whenever I'm going out, if I feel like I may need help.
     Earlier this week the weather was really nice, and I took the children I care for out on a walk two days in a row. The first day I was dressed nicely, and had on my  more expensive looking winter coat, the second day I just wore a plain hoodie. I work as a nanny in a very nice neighborhood where people have, shall we say, more than most. And on the first day anyone who drove through the neighborhood or walked past me waved and smiled. On the second day, not so much. My style of dress that day made it obvious that I wasn't one of them, that I just worked in the neighborhood and didn't live there, so they weren't as polite to me.
     It was an unexpected, and kind of shocking reminder to myself that the way you dress does affect how you are treated by people. If you want respect and to be treated as a successful person you need to dress like it. I know that it probably sounds stupid to some people and they are going 'why should it matter how I dress'  but its true, you have to dress for the life you want.  It's just how we are. Try it yourself and see.

Ezekiel 16:10
I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put sandals of fine leather on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments.

No comments:

Post a Comment