Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Stopping the Blurr and Focusing in

      I have no idea what to write today, I've tried three different things so far and nothing is grabbing my attention. My mind's all business today. That's where I want to focus, I want to work on my book, I want to read about how to own and operate a coffee shop, and I want to get an appointment made with my accountant. I have so many responsibilities floating around inside my head that I am having trouble seeing past them, and it's frustrating me.
     I want to relax, I want to focus on the here and now. But my mind is working days, weeks, months and even years ahead of me. It's good to plan ahead and be prepared, but I need to slow down. I need to pace myself before I burn out. It's a really bad habit of mine. I do it often, get all excited about something and work at it, then I spread myself too thin and become overwhelmed by it because I try to take on the whole project at once instead of just one piece at a time. This time I have taken on two large projects and my head is swirling all the time, my emotions because of this have been just as turbulent lately. I am aware of this, but how do I retrain myself to take back the control and focus on one thing at a time?
     I'm thinking I will develop a schedule. I am going to write down all the things that need done for my book, the business, my job, and housework. I'll list all of my responsibilities and put it in a calendar. I am going to put it on a calendar that also has the hours of the day. This way I can schedule in when I normally do stuff, and figure out free time for myself too, because its important, and that's typically part of why I burn myself out, I don't take time for me. I won't start my new schedule until next week though, and I have a good reason, if I start something in the middle of the week, it never works out for me, I won't follow through. I have to start on Mondays.
     It's important to know things like that about yourself, especially if organization is something you struggle with. I used to have a really hard time organizing, and sometimes still do, but I am getting better, with the knowledge of things like starting on Mondays works best for me, that a visible posted schedule is a good reminder, and alarms are great! I have also found that one of the biggest things that can help to get organized and stay on track is too ask for help, the most difficult thing for me. I hate to not be capable of doing things on my own, but we all need help. Even if its just staying on track and getting organized, without help we aren't accountable to anyone but ourselves, and if you are as weak willed as I am, that's bad. I need to be able to say to someone, this is what I am doing and working on, can you help me to make sure I do it?
     Having goals are great but if you never reach them what's the point? I had a bad habit of that in my teens, but these tips I mentioned above have been a huge help to me, and I hope maybe to someone else.

Proverbs 17:24
A discerning person keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment