Thursday, January 23, 2014

It's all perspective

     Another below freezing, snowy day in Pennsylvania, USA and going to work was something I dreaded. I hate driving in the dark on slick roads. But as I was leaving, early because of weather conditions, I thought about how instead of complaining that I had to go out in the cold I should be glad I have a job, reliable transportation, and that I wasn't out in the cold all night! I beat back my complaints and went to work with a smile on my face and Klove on my radio.
     After about ten minutes on the roads that hadn't seen a plow yet the dark foreboding thoughts came back, you'll never make it on time,  it's your first week and your gonna be late, better watch that bad bend you can slide right off the road like you did before. These thoughts kept swirling in my mind and I could feel fear building inside me. But then I started to pray, I started to argue back the thoughts. I told myself that I am a much better driver than I was, that I had a better, safer vehicle, better tires, and most importantly God, a God who has some plans for my life and had brought me to this new job and the security if offered, He wasn't about to let anything happen to screw it up now.
     As I fought back my fears I started to feel more confident, then a turned carefully onto a road and found myself behind the salt truck and plow! I was able to follow it most of my way to work, and when it finally turned off all the rest of the roads were clear, and salted! I couldn't believe how lucky, really how blessed I was!
     It seems to me the more I stand against fear and take the perspective of I have a God who will provide the more I see these little miracles, these little blessings. The more I decide to take on an attitude of happiness and gratitude the more His love is seen in my life. I'm really starting to realize it's all about perspective, you can focus in on the negative and let that control you or you can choose to focus on God's shining light and let that bless you.

Psalms 27:3-5

3Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then I will be confident.
4One thing I ask from theLord,
this only do I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
to gaze on the beauty of theLord
and to seek him in his temple.
5For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent
and set me high upon a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment