Sunday, February 23, 2014

I waited and.....

      I woke up this morning thinking about the kids I went to high school with and how my choice to wait until I was married to have sex got me verbally attacked by some of my peers, questioned by others, and how some tried instead to convince me it was okay to have sex as early as age 12, while a small few supported my decision and made the same one themselves. I decided early on that it was important to remain sexually pure, I believed then and still do that our culture cheapens sex. I believed that by remaining sexually pure I was honoring my future husband, myself, and saving myself from regret. I wasn't close to God then, but I know now that this is a choice He was pleased with.
      It's that last thought that I was thinking about in particular today, saving myself from regret. I remember talking to one of my peers about that, close to ten years ago now, and how she had assured me I would regret not having sex with other partners before I was married more than having sex before marriage. She tried to convince me that I would always wonder what it was like with someone else. Another person told me several times that I would hold resentment towards the man who took my virginity and it would be better to get it out of the way before I met the right man so I could love him without resentment.
      Well, these things sat in my head all through my teens and early twenties but I still waited, and sometimes wondered if I made the right choice while I was waiting. Especially when my boyfriend at one time started to cheat on me because I wouldn't participate in any sexual activity. I have been married just over three years now to someone else and I realize now that those people were all liars. I'm glad everyday that I didn't allow these lies to taint what I have, that I didn't let the world convince me that waiting was a stupid choice. I am glad I waited,  and I'm glad my husband did as well, there is an incredible amount of trust between my husband and I, I never wonder about being with anyone else because I am bonded to my spouse, my true love and I know he feels the same.
       I finally decided to write this after going back and forth  on the issue since I woke up this morning. But after talking to a young girl on google plus earlier, I sat down and started writing. I have several young people who read my blogs post and speak to me often, and I also have a sister who is just coming into her teen years, I want them to know, I want anyone who reads this and was struggling with the choice to know the truth. Sex isn't something you just do, it isn't just 'fun' it's called making love for a reason, its meant to be done to strength the bonds of love in marriage. Don't believe the lies. Don't sacrifice what you can't get back to someone who isn't going to be there for the long haul, you are too special for that.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18 Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

1 Corinthians 7:36
36 If anyone is worried that he might not be acting honorably toward the virgin he is engaged to, and if his passions are too strong and he feels he ought to marry, he should do as he wants. He is not sinning. They should get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment