Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Valentines Day

     It's almost Valentines day, but as usual I'm not really excited. I am however happy. I have a wonderful husband who has helped me develop into the women I hoped I could be with his love and support. We are planning a big business venture, we have a home, and cars these things make me excited and grateful, but Valentines day does not.
      He has never once forgotten to get me card, and we always try to do something nice at home together, but honestly I am just not a fan of this forced romance. Celebrating a day with this expectation of it has to be romantic defeats the purpose. I guess for some couples the reminder is needed, and for others it might be a good excuse to do something special. But I enjoy the little surprises better.
     There is nothing more romantic than being surprised. And not neccasarily by flowers, jewelry, or candy....though chocolate is always a welcome site, it's more doing something unexpectedly. For instance, often in the spring and summer my husband will pick me wild flowers when we are out walking and put one in my hair. He's never asked to, he just does it, that's romantic. Or I'll come home to find he cleaned up the house! My favorite though is probably the silliest, I love playing in the rain with him, it's not something we do often even in the summer, but something about walking, playing, and kissing in a down pour is terribly romantic to me.
     So I guess I don't like Valentines day because its not genuine, did you know they makes cards to tell your significant other that you love them all year round? I did, I've bought them when I knew he was having trouble. Romance to me isn't true when it's expected and when all the value of it is the price tag attached. Love and romance are built on the little shared moments, the unexpected sentiment that lifts our spirit and makes our hearts pound with desire.
   
1 Corithinians 13:4
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment