Thursday, February 20, 2014

Rear View Mirror

    I drive 13 miles to work everyday, and because of the weather lately I've been having to go out to my car early every morning to heat up the car and get it to defrost. This morning I forgot to turn on the rear window defrosters, which really isn't a big deal because I don't have to back up or change lanes at all while I'm driving into work. Despite knowing that the rear window was still frozen over I caught myself peering up into the rear view mirror every so often.
     About half way into work I caught myself doing it again but a thought crossed my mind as I looked up and saw that my rear window was still frozen and I couldn't see behind me, I thought 'this is  probably a good thing that I can't look back right now, because it becomes a big distraction for me.' And it's true, not just with driving though, but with life in general.
     I think most of us are guilty of this at some time or another, we spend so much time thinking about where we have been that we forget to think about where we are going, or where we are right now. Not that it's bad to look back and remember, but we can't let the memory be more present than the present. We can't allow a memory or feeling to stop us from looking forward, from moving forward, and going after what we want. God does not want us to live in the past, He wants us to live each day for Him!
     After my thoughts this morning, and spending some time reflecting on them I have decided to start working on not looking back as much, it doesn't matter who is behind me while I'm driving into or home from work, what matters is I know where I want to go and how to get there. It's the exact same in life, the people and events of the past are behind me, and although they were part of the journey we aren't all going to the same destination, looking back isn't going to change that. So instead, I need to look towards my destination and keep focused and centered on Jesus. I need to let my path be the reason to be determined, and happy. I need to let go of what's behind me and keep focused.

Psalm 119:132-135
Turn to me and have mercy on me,
as you always do to those who love your name.
Direct my footsteps according to your word;
let no sin rule over me.
Redeem me from human oppression,
that I may obey your precepts.
Make your face shine on your servant
and teach me your decrees.
 
Philippians 3:13-14
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment